Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Who Is Eating Its Authors?


I wish somebody would tell me what the heck is going on! Is Amazon going cannibal, eating its own young?

After watching this industry for 29 years, I think I've reached my saturation point. 

Read this HuffPost article, written by no less than Mark Coker (Smashwords CEO and indie author). Anyway you look at this, to me it spells doom

2018 Book Publishing Predictions--Are Indie Authors Losing Their Independence?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/2018-book-publishing-predictions-are-indie-authors_us_5a4a88e0e4b0d86c803c78ab

In addition to this dire warning/prediction, tell me why, oh why, have sales and reviews dropped off almost completely for small/independent presses and self-published authors. I'm seeing this all across the board. I have not seen such a dramatic halt for reviews and sales, but I can say this: When you put a minimum dollar requirement of $50 per year for reviewers (who wish to enhance the resources of the written word), you are certainly going to cut out a vast amount of readers and fans.  

WHO WANTS TO BE LOCKED INTO A COMPANY OR PRODUCT BY FORCE, WITH NO WAY OUT BUT TO PLAY THE GAME AND KEEP YOU HEAD IN THE SAND. WE ARE NOT WORTHY AS WE BOW OUR KNEES TO THE FLOOR AND RAISE OUR ARMS IN ALLA FASHION. DON'T YOU DARE CHALLENGE THE MASTER OF AL THEY SURVEY. OR...FIND THE EXIT DOOR. 

And what is this cursed algorithm that ferrets out family, relatives and friends from reviewing your book? Is this all in the name of halting fake reviews and page number reads, as Amazon explains? Why do authors have entire blocks of reviews removed without notice or explanation. The believe some master policy had been violate, although they don't quite know which one.

No one dares speak ill of Amazon's treatment for fear of a giant ax coming down on them. Anyone can be pulled from their pages, ruthlessly and efficiently. That is exactly what happens when a corporation gets too big and powerful.

Do you know why Amazon is producing brick-and-mortar bookstores across the nation? To date, they have 19 operational. Do you know what this means? Do you understand what product lock-in can do to the consumer populace?


I'm not a doom-peddler or naysayer. I'm well aware of the better points of Amazon as it pertains to indie publishing. I know all about leveling the playing field and ousting the gate keepers. Fair is fair, yes. I represent Guerrilla Warfare For Writers. I warn, and fight for the rights of authors everywhere. We are the producers--we MUST take control and demand justifiable resolutions. Without us the literary world is a wasteland.

Chime In! Tell me what you think. What are your experiences with recent sales and reviews of your books and stories.

I wish you all the best in your writing endeavors. Never be afraid to stand up face to face with your nemesis and present your grievances.

The Warrior--Red Shifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment