Friday, February 24, 2012

Writing and Marketing Woes

I should have said "pleasure" instead of woes.  But it sure can be tedious at times, multi-tasking, writing new material, banging out edits on mulitple books, trying to stay updated with your agent and marketing your Bermuda shorts off.  I wonder when I'll take a break at times, but that inner life-clock of mine keeps on ticking and taking little snippets of juice out of me.

I think I've spammed the world, but the world is snoozing.

I don't take breaks, and I guess therein lies the problem.  For the past six years it's been eight to twelve hour stints at the screen, with no let up and no vacations.  I never leave the house, except to do chores, and even resist going out in public, knowing that my time is better spent splashing ink.

This is the toughest mental vocation I ever got myself locked into.  And locked is the correct term.  It can be like a self-imposed prison.  Honest to God, I can't see how anyone has the time or energy to write when they have a full-time job, kids, and a loving spouse who requires their attention.  I'm glad I'm single.  I'm lonely, oh yes, but I wouldn't  put a household and loved ones through the mess that is my life.

Dear writer: take a well deserved break now and again. You need to recharge your system, gather your thoughts and organize your portfolio. Approaching the brink of exhaustion, does not a happy writer make. I'm starting to take walks now. Even a visit to the grocery store is a welcomed change of scenery. You have to let your mind experience alternatives. 

Loving rant over...
Chris--red-shifting.

Planet Janitor: The Moon is not Enough (Engage Science Fiction) (Digital Short) by Chris Stevenson (Kindle Edition - Feb 7, 2012)Kindle eBook

$0.00 
 
 (read for free, Join Amazon Prime)
Buy
$0.99 

Auto-delivered wirelessly
 

Planet Janitor: Custodian of the Stars (Engage Science Fiction) (Illustrated) by Chris Stevenson and Toni Zhang (Kindle Edition - Jan 7, 2011)Kindle eBook

$0.00 
 
 (read for free, Join Amazon Prime)
Buy
$2.99 

Auto-delivered wirele
 

No comments:

Post a Comment